from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, January 08, 2007

the race ahead (half-marathon #2)

I start to be stressed about the whole thing.

For one, I still have a cold. Somehow, last week, I managed to negotiate my way along the fine line between work, running, illness, and rest, so that I still got my training done and the cold did not get worse. Problem is it did not get better either.

Each day I came from work I went directly to bed to with hot teas and vitamin C (and my laptop). Each scheduled morning I woke up before 5 am to run. On the whole, status quo.

I have to somehow get well. I cannot run a good race sluggish and lightheaded, as I am now.

And then, I am stressed about the logistics. I am worried about getting to Arizona on time the day before, so I can pick up my race packet before they shut things down. I am worried about the highway getting closed, since they announced another storm for Saturday. I am worried about maps and timing and down-town driving and crowds and wave-starts. 20,000 to 30,000 participants. I have never been in a competition of such proportions. I am worried about finding my boyfriend after the finish.

They say 90% of what a person worries about never comes true. So be it. In the meantime I have to get well.

I am not worried about the race itself. I will run. What can happen?

5 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

You know, if your cold doesn't get better, then just go run and have fun. If it's too crowded to run well with that many participants, then just go run and have fun. Make sure you leave on time, and then...the rest is out of your control. Traffic and storms are beyond our reach, at that point, you just have to go with the flow. I hope you feel better and it all goes like clockwork for you!

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Lora said...

Don't forget the chicken soup!! Feel better, and, yes, have fun!!!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Deene said...

have some chicken soup and green chile, get better soon so you can make it to the race. print out directions from mapquest and i'm sure with that many runners there is a parking place with a shuttle to start area.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Get well soon.

I think it is a good sign that you are stressing about things *other* than the race. I'm sure things will go well. Can't wait to read about it when you get back. :)

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

In case you do not post again before the race, or I do not make it back before the race, have a good one and have fun. Hope you feel better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home