from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

rock'n'roll times

We left Phoenix yesterday at 4:45 am and arrived in Albuquerque after an uneventful ride of 8 hours door-to-door.

It was a good trip. It was a good race. It was a great race. Logistics aside.

We departed here on Friday, since I was anxious about being in time to register before 5 pm next day. That was an inspired move. On Saturday the weather turned nasty, and we had miserable driving conditions through the mountains, with snow and ice and useless windshield wipers unless one used a ton of washer fluid. Phoenix was clear, but half of downtown is one-way streets, and half of those were one-lane due to construction, so it took more than an hour to drive four blocks to the Phoenix convention center for race packet pick-up.

I was assigned to corral 27, based on estimated time of arrival. I don’t remember what I submitted – 2h or 2h 15 minutes. Is that so bad? 27 was the last corral, I was there among runner/walkers in street clothes. And not even among them did I feel like a runner.

The morning was frigid and bright, the coldest start in the history of the event (I heard people say). My contingent took off 57 minutes after gun time. No matter what I did in that hour to keep warm – jumping up and down, rocking back and forth, running in place, rubbing and shivering – by the time we had a GO I was numb with the freezing cold. The luckiest people were those who kept the layers on and didn’t use gear check-in.

For miles ahead, the streets were littered with discarded clothes. By mile two my toes were still burning with the cold. By mile three I still had pins and needles in my hands. But I ran.

I ran, free and carefree. One factor made a tremendous difference. I have only run in Albuquerque so far. Altitude over 5,000 feet. I thought it was me, puking my lungs out, as robtherunner once described the modus operandi for a 5K. It wasn’t me. It was the altitude. Thin air. I had not realized the handicap before. In Phoenix, Arizona, 1,100 feet over sea level, breathing is labor-free. You run, you breathe. It’s a given. It’s not hard at all. I cut steadily through the crowds ahead, thinking of nothing but the running alone.

Mindless, high on oxygen, along palm trees, to the beat of music, I ran. I did not walk once. Clock time read 2 h 52 minutes on the electronic display when I reached the finish line. With a near-to-an-hour-late start, I knew before I crossed it that I had finished in less than two hours. I had PR-ed.

It wasn’t all my merit. I was still not completely over my cold, being on the road did not improve my general state, and the hour-long expenditure of energy to keep alive before the start could not have helped. It was the altitude. I will not beat this record in Albuquerque. But it is still my record.

I spent the rest of the day giggling. My landsman Emil Ardelean ran the full marathon, and had a good race as well. My boyfriend drove us around, and generally acted as the only responsible adult. We had a fabulous late lunch, and behaved as if we had performed great deeds. It had been a great race. I had PR-ed. I know from the time I was target shooting: a personal record is a big, big deal, even if only for that one person.

We went on the internet that evening. The official website gave my chip time as 2h 08min 25sec, about a minute over my previous half-marathon.

I don’t understand.

I know I ran this race in less than two hours, although I cannot prove it. It was a great race. For the first time, I almost enjoyed running. The rest should not matter. But I still feel as if that incorrect chip time takes something away from me.

12 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Whoo-hoo! A PR is great! It is disappointing when your chip time is messed up - and who knows why?

I'm here to tell you that altitude thing is a killer in reverse. When we of the sea-level level went to Tahoe to run, we had trouble breathing. Enjoy the benefit of your high-altitude training and choose all your races at low levels.

Congrats on a great run!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good job on your race.

And maybe *I* need to do a race somehere lower in altitude. I remember doing a training run in Oregon on a business trip and feeling like superwoman..musta been the oxygen high!!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger C.J. Schexnayder said...

if you check out the webpage for the race results there is a statment explaining some of the chip times were wrong. yours might be one of them. i think they are using some type of video review to figure out the correct times.

but you still kicked butt. congratulations.

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the great race. I know you have worked hard to be ready and it totally paid off. You sure sound like someone who loves running to me.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Cris said...

sounds like it was a good run for you, all told. 2:08 is blistering fast c ompared to me. :)

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Despite what the chip time says you know how hard and fast you ran and that's what really matters. At least I think so. Congratulations on a great race. It's good to hear that you enjoyed it.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Great job…looks like the day went well for you and hey a pr is a pr no matter what the chip reports, what a great achievement! Very happy to hear you almost enjoyed running…I wish you continued success!

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw the timing chip! You know you kicked butt! :) And, did I detect some cheer, some pleasure, some joy of running? That's what keeps us going. Those great moments. Congratulations!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Deene said...

what a great race report! Congratulations on your PR!! i can't wait to run at lower altitudes just to see how much of a difference it makes.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger traveler022 said...

Congrats Lia on your PR! I would have panicked driving in the snow and would not have be in good state of mind. Hopefully, they will correct your time. I know it's nicer when it's officially posted on a website somewhere. If not, you know you PRed! So, what's your next race;)?

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Lora said...

Nothing was taken away from you--you did great! You worked hard and had fun--and, truly, that's what it's all about!!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I know what you mean! Something similar happened to me once too. So annoying.

But congrats on the PR, and the altitude!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home