from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, January 19, 2007

doubt and its remedy

I am gullible. I am impressionable. I am even susceptible to advertising to some extent. And I tend to doubt myself.

I submited a request for time correction and Elite Racing replied I did not start one hour after the first wave, no further explanation.

Now I am not sure anymore. What if I made a mistake? It's not as if in previous races I manifested insight, precision, and a clear head with splits and timing. According to my own admittance, I run mindlessly, and can't think straight when running.

So... I guess I will not know for sure what happened. There's a simple remedy. I can find myself a half-marathon at sea level and run it under two hours and settle this. In the end, it was a great race and that is all that matters. And now I have to focus on how I get to mile 15. It's time to move on.

9 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

That is bizarre. Do they show split times?

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

You lack one piece of running equipment -- a stopwatch. I always take my own times. Start it when you cross the start line -- stop it when you cross the finish line. It should be close to the chip time.

And backofpack is right, check the split times (and remember, your first couple miles may be slower due to the crowds). Also, be sure to check back again with the official results. I did a race last year that at first posted my time incorrectly -- I think due to the large number of people finishing at the same time.

Either way, good job on the race! I did hear it was pretty cold.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Good job at your half marathon. Even if they screwed up, it's still a respectable time.

Happy trails,
Bad Ben

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Joe said...

> I can find myself a half-marathon
> at sea level and run it under
> two hours and settle this.

If you don't mind traveling a bit, you should go to the Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon on June 24. It finishes at sea-level and has a net drop of 250 feet. You'd have a good chance at a best time.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger S. Baboo said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog!

It was amazingly cold at RRAZ, I never even took off my snazzy paper jacket.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let those timing Nazi's "chip" at your confidence. You ran a killer race! Bask in that glory for awhile. :) And, for future races, I agree with Kurt. Get a watch. Then you'll have proof. :)

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just caught up on your R&R race a little. That is a huge bummer, but I'm glad you're looking forward. Sometimes races and times are just pains in running- and it sounds like you had a good time, either way.

By the way, thanks for visiting my blog and for the music suggestions.

:)

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Congratulations on running your half. It sounds like you were robbed, but you know you did well. PR or not, you ran a fast race!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

I wonder if others that started in your corral had a similar experience. It would be interesting if you could find a few of them out there with blogs and see how long it took them to get to the start.

Regardless under those conditions you ran a fantastic race! Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home