from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, January 26, 2007

falling apart

Three days after the system check confirmed full function capability, I woke up with a stiff back. It went downwhill from there. For more than a day my lower back hurt so badly I could not straighten myself out. I hobbled around at work literally bent out of shape. This has happened before, but not since I am running.

I went out to run yesterday, but a few steps out the door it struck me as stupid to impose four miles worth of pounding on a stressed spine, so I turned around and went back into the house. Just in time.

Today when I stepped on the treadmill I still felt fragile, as if I could break at the waist. I didn't.

Then... I have had this weakness in my right ankle forever, even before I was running, but it has not bothered me in the last six months or so. This morning I felt it again, like a hollow space in my joint, undermining structure. My mind hesitated each time before putting the foot down, but the treadmill wasn't waiting.

And then... the tendon in my left groin, the one I pulled last September, announced its presence too, just so I don't forget it exists, and is tender, and has feelings.

I feel as if I am walking a tightrope. No, I feel as if I am running a tightrope.

I ran four miles, wishing it were over. Wishing I had my marathon behind me. I am so tired. Perhaps I could accelerate my training so I run the Vancouver FULL marathon in June. That is a crazy thought, I know, on a day like this.

10 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Yikes! I wonder what's going on with you? I've had days and weeks like that. Go easy, rest extra. Try to eat really well and drink lots. Cut yourself some slack. Remember, a couple days easy or off now isn't going to hurt you, but if you push and injure something further, you'll have to miss more time and that will set you back. Hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't push too hard. Maybe you need more rest. It takes a lot longer to recover from an injury than to prevent it.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. One thing tends to lead to another sometimes. It sounds like you should have your alignment checked out. One little thing being off can cause a multitude of issues. . . I'm speaking from experience here. Take care of yourself.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I'm more of a shopper than a runner, I know only so much about these things... but I'd say when your body needs to stop, you need to listen for a while! Don't push yourself too hard!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with the take it easy and let your body rest and then build it back up approach. Sometimes it hurts though. If it were easy to run a marathon everyone would do it.

I had to laugh when I read the title of your post. I feel like I am more mentally falling apart, however, through suffering comes strength, I hope.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Maybe a little chewing gum, duct tape and bailing wire would help ;-)

Take it easy, it's a lot more fun to have all the parts working smoothly - and it won't take too long to fully heal and be ready to challenge the road.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

Sounds like you need some time in the pool doing some water running. Have you tried this before?

Are you running with the Road Runners Run Club there in Albuquerque? I'll bet they would have some good advice for you and possibly even a training partner or two.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

I am with Rob: if it were easy to run a marathon everyone would do it.
Take care and don't push too hard.

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, when our brain is full-on ready to go, we allow it to fool our body into thinking so, too. It might just be some time for rest, a few days never hurt anyone. (I know, it feels awful though.)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Take some well deserved rest, pick up the pieces a couple days down the road and see how you feel. If you can find some dirt trails in your area try running on that, much less impact than pavement, also cross training is another great option..with all the benefits of running. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home