from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, February 02, 2007

cleansing

I got another massage. Did I say that I work for a salon & spa? I don't get them quite for free, but the price I pay is a good approximation of nothing. I don't take even close to reasonable advantage of it. It's a shameful waste of the possibility on any normal day.

Since my back, stiff as an armor, is far from normalcy, I went for it again.

The massage therapist is a fitness fanatic and did a thorough job. Afterwards I felt as if I had been beaten with a meat tenderizer. Him and the chiropractor had contradictory explanations as to what is going on in my body, but I decided not to be a stickler for details. I don't mind the pain, as long as I can run through it. And I did.

I don't see the backache as a running injury, since it has bothered me intermittently for the last decade or so. But I believe its resurgence, and its vehemence, and persistence, are somehow related to running. As opposed to the pulled tendon back in autumn, I don't feel guilty, as if I failed myself somehow.

I feel it's a good thing. I see this episode - or imagine it - as a clearing process, as if an intimate mechanism that went wrong long time ago gets straightened out now. As if an old imbalance, maladjustment, tension is loosened, flushed out, eliminated.

11 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I could ever work for a salon/spa because I'd spend my entire paycheck before I actually earned it! Hopefully the massages will be helpful!

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at you feeling all positive! :) Nice! And, I do believe I detect a hint of running addiction. It's happening - watch out. :)

Good for you for getting yourself taken care of. That's what you need.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... yes, you are a running addict Lia! Standing up at 5:00 and ready to run ... I'm normally asleep and maybe dreaming at that time in the morning!
I'm glad to hear that you are doing better! I just started to run again this week ... marathon consequences!

Happy running!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Lia,
Strengthen your core to help your back. Consider Pilates, an abs class or yoga. I favor Pilates as it works the entire core, from the pelvic floor to the shoulders, front and back. Anyway, it'll help with those back kinds of things.

I just told Eric today that I am ready for another massage - the last one I had was probably a year ago. You are so lucky to have that daily possibility!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I could go for a massage right about now as well. I hope it helped out.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Chad said...

That kind of treatment makes me want to get injured ;-)

I don't know how you feel about biking, but when I'm getting soreness in my back or joints I find that a ride on my mountain bike helps feed the addiction while avoiding the pain. Road biking tends to hurt my back though. . .

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Jason The Running Man said...

Found you site from another blog. Look forward to following your progress.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Faithful Soles said...

My name is Robert Key and I am a runner from Houston, Texas. I saw your blog listed when I was looking through the RBF directory and very much enjoyed reading some of your entries. I am going through a period of trying to overcome a severe shin splint, which is nothing compared to what you are dealing with. My thoughts and prayers will be with you for a full recovery.

I have a web site at http://www.faithfulsoles.com that is inspirational stories for walkers, runners and athletes of all ages and abilities. A new feature I have recently added to the site is a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database where members of my site can find a blog of interest to them based on other walkers, runners or athletes of similar abilities, goals and interests. To my knowledge it is the only one of its kind specifically for walkers and runners on the internet. I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to put a link to your blog in our Running Blog Database. Just click on "Link your running blog" under "Free Features" from the home page. If you want to learn more about my running background, just click on "Meet Robert" from the main menu , or to learn more about my involvement in the running community, click on "Faithful Soles in the news" in the left column under "Weekly Features". I also have a blog that I just started at http://faithfulsoles.blogspot.com, but most of my running information is on my web site. Also, if there is anyone else in your blogger network that you think would be interested in listing their blog, please feel free to pass this information along to them. Thanks and continued good luck in your training.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

And what about a thermal bath too?

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Jason The Running Man said...

Thanks for stopping. Everybody starts somewhere!:) Keep up the good work.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger JustRun said...

I completely agree- take advantage of that. I go once/month because of a "deal" I get, too and if I could justify it, I'd probably go more. Good for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home