from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

system check

The week after the half-marathon I took it easy, double-cheking the state of the body. All parts were in place and functioning. I am finally over my cold. It had snowed again and it was as frigid as in Arizona during my outdoor run, but I was prepared. Most poignant was re-acquainting myself with the rarefied atmosphere of the desert. I am running on thin air again, an interaction as familiar and excruciating as some close relationships.

Browsing blogs at year-turn I noticed how many runners have advance plans as to what races they will run during the year. I cannot think too far ahead on a normal day, but my mind is playing now with the idea of running a half at sea level, to make up for the questionable PR in Arizona. Joe has suggested the Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon race on June 24. It just so happened that I had looked it up exactly the same day, not because I am able to project as far, geographically or timewise, but because we might need to go to British Columbia in the summer, and it would be neat if I could combine two quests in one stroke. It would take coordinating everything and everybody, here and there, like the conductor of an orchestra. My summer symphony.

9 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger seagull junker said...

My brother and his wife plan big runs around vacations also. Works out great. I've been to Vancouver B.C. only once and it is beautiful. Kind of a touristy type town but that is o.k. Hope you can go.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

Good to hear that all systems are go!

Vancouver is a fun half marathon. I have not run the half but I believe it uses part of the Marathon course which I have run. You might be looking at a hill at around the 6-7 mile mark. We have a couple of runners from our running club considering the same race. Don't forget your passport to get back into the US from Canada!

I found the picture that you mentioned in your comment on my blog regarding ice baths. Yikes! That looks cold! Our tap water is so cold here in the winter that we don't actually need to use ice. It's like sitting in a cold Mt. stream. If you get achy legs after your long runs you might want to give it a try. It makes your recovery go much faster.

Nice job on the Half Marathon in AZ. Too bad the weather was so cold but I guess it beats 110 degrees!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger The Stretch Doc said...

Love Vancouver!! If you get a chance to do it go for it!!

Hey i used to live in Santa Fe with relatives still there and in Rio Rancho!

rockon`

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Eric forgot to mention that when he ran Vancouver the rain was coming down in sheets! It is a beautiful area though, I'd like to run it someday too.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger JustRun said...

I think palnning races around vacations is a great idea. Just save some days after to enjoy some good food, and drink, if that's your thing. :)

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Destination races are the best ones; you get to explore new places, see new and interesting things plus run a race! Good luck planning!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Late congratulations on a great race and the PR despite the altitude.
A half on the sea level? Rome-Ostia where the arrival is on the beach.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Lora said...

ohhhh you got the bug now dont you??!! Plan it girl....it's a great goal!

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. I lived in Santa Fe once and I remember the thin air, particularly in the Sangre de Christo mountains near the Ski Basin. I can't run anymore (knee injury and surgery), but even walking is difficult for long periods of time at that altitude. So I really admire your perseverance; how you're training and preparing for more events. Best of luck to you - I'm sure you'll succeed in anything you decide to do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home